Sunday 4 January 2015

Fight day !

The day was finally here....Jeez were the nerves hitting me bad!   After 8 weeks of intensive training, alcohol and junk food ban it would be all over in a matter of 6 minutes in the ring....if I was lucky!

I remember getting up early that morning, having had a very restless night, constant scenarios of how the fight would go in my head.  I have to admit I was a little worried about getting hurt too badly, turning up to teach a classroom full of kids with a black eye not the best of looks to have!

Finally when it was time to go my wife and kids came with me to drop me off at the venue, as we went through the main gates parked straight in front of the arena was an Ambulance!....I remember hoping that it wouldn't be my taxi home that night.


Once in the venue, and what a venue it was... we all changed into our boxing kit and lined up for our medicals.  Once this was all done and passed I had a long wait until it was my turn to fight,  I wasn't fighting till around 10:30 pm, that gave me about 6 hours to...........worry.  Once the venue was full we all walked out to the ring to greet the crowd and for photographs in our respective teams.   I remember thinking how packed the arena was and what I was there to do, worrying more about tripping down the steps or over the ring ropes.  As I was introduced I heard screaming from across the room....for such a small following they sure made a huge sound....

By the time it came to my fight my nerves had gone and I was completely focused on what I had to do, if anything I was a little over confident.....I walked out to my entrance music, shadow boxing to "it's a fight" thinking I was some kind of Pro boxer.....may of felt like one but I'm pretty sure I didn't look like one.

Once in the ring everything around me closed in on me, as if there was only me,my opponent and the referee in the whole place.  all I was focused on at that point was my opponent and what I had to do......we were sent to our corners after a quick chat......waiting for the bell.

Ding.....Ding.....

Round one started off well, punches were being traded between me and my opponent, my jabs were at times getting through his high guard, with my right hook really rocking him at a couple of occasions in the round.  I felt great and ended the round strong and not feeling too bad.

Round 2 started well, again getting a few punches in, but I was also taking a good few bomb shells mainly to the side of my head and nose..."keep your hands up" being screamed from my corner....bang!!! I took a hard hit to the side of my head, my ear was ringing and I could feel a trickling sensation down the side of my head.....I was sure at the time my ear was bleeding. After being stopped to adjust my head guard the fight was restarted, going on to receive another rocket to my head, this one shook me and left me a little stunned...(Stars buzzing around my head) at this point the referee stopped the fight...I felt I could have continued but at the end of the day he saw what happened and it probably was for the best...

As we stood in the center of the ring for the decision, yes I was a little gutted, but I was also immensely proud of what I had achieved.....Win lose or draw it was a great experience that I would never change....

For the following week I felt like I had been hit by a bus....barely being able to turn my neck and a sore nose...maybe a good job I didn't make it to the third round.....











No comments:

Post a Comment